I was once a skeptic. I have to admit. Even though I’m the kind of person that would pay a psychic to tell my future, I just didn’t completely understand or believe in essential oils. I mean, to be told to smell a bottle of oil and you can chill, or have more energy? Put a few drops on your belly and digestive issues go away? Rub a few drops of oils on the soles of your feet or put a drop under your tongue and you’ll feel more grounded and less stressed? I just didn’t believe it.
I wanted the pills. I was raised by a nurse (my mum). We believed in Western Medicine. Antibiotics. Injections. Synthetic over the counter prescription medications.
But after years of no relief with several health issues, feeling scattered everyday, over-stressed, and after a complete health breakdown – I’m talking liver dysfunction, metabolic issues from the pill, leaky gut, back pain, PCOS, inflammatory bowel – I gave up. Or maybe I should say …I woke up. And tried these little brown bottles, and holy moly they worked when nothing else did. In fact, much of 2015 was spent experimenting and studying these little beauties with my best friend Hannah. We would choose an ‘Oil of the week’ and do everything possible in one week with that oil, and come together later to share our findings… such nerds! But it was time well spent.
· Do you get headaches?
· Have you spent years trying to figure out what you can and cannot eat because you’re embarrassed by gas, bloating or other digestive issues?
· Are you popping pills to relax or to sleep at night?
· Are you stressed out?
· Are you wondering why, after 15 different medications your eczema won’t go away?
· Are you tired of staying home with your kids with all their flus, colds, or sore throats?
· Are you sick of taking anti-biotics for sinus infections and sore throats, knowing full well they are possibly stressing out your liver and digestive system?
Essential oils are made from plants, not in a laboratory, so you can truly feel good sharing them with your sick or injured loved ones. Essential oils will help you relieve a headache, bug bites, nausea, and can help promote relaxation, digestion, immune support and so much more. You name it. There is an oil for it.
Here are a few of my fav things I love to do with Essential Oils…
1. I love making raw cheesecakes with the Lemon and Lime essential oil, or Wild Orange! Saves squeezing lemons and getting messy.
2. I start every day with 1 drop of Lemon essential oil (it doesn’t ruin the enamel on your teeth like fresh lemon does- PLUS 1 drop is equivalent to 70 lemons! So it is extremely potent and you may notice some detox symptoms in your first week. The oil is made from the rind so if you want to keep your teeth, stop squeezing lemon juice and rotting your teeth enamel.
3. I love the ‘Slim & Sassy’ blend of Grapefruit and other oils, this is for your metabolism, energy and digestion. Assists your thyroid. I take 3 drops 3 times a day in water.
4. I make all my own cleaning products with the oils and use the DoTerra natural toothpaste. There are great recipes on Pinterest.
5. I cook with the Cardamom and Lemongrass oils in Curry’s.
6. Diffuse Lavender in the bedroom to promote sleep, calm anxiety… if you rub it on your temples before sleep time you may experience some crazy vivid dreams! I use lavender, ylang ylang and vetiver oils as a sedative.
7. FRANKINCENSE is the ultimate oil. Great for physical pain, immune function, scars and so much more.
8. Skin saviour recipe: 10 drops Frankincense and 10 drops Lavender and 10 drops Bergamot into my botttle of Organic Rosehip Oil and apply this morning and night for glowing skin! Reduces blemishes, wrinkles and gives your skin a glow- I can now wear no makeup if I wish for the first time since I was 16.
9. I take the mini bottles EVERYWHERE I go…I walked around the whole of Canada with a DoTerra keychain containing several oils on his backpack. The Peppermint oil on my temples was a jet lag and headache saver. I also made a little spray bottle with Lavender and Grapefruit as a hand sanitiser.
10. Peppermint oil- 1 drop is equivalent to 28 teabags – so potent! I love popping 1 drop in warm water and you have peppermint tea! It does wonders for any gastrointestinal issues/tummy upsets too.
11. Bergamot mixed with coconut oil on my tummy and feet at that time of the month- helps pain, cramps and mood.
12. I make my own perfumes which always get complimented… especially the wild orange. And seriously what kind of perfume smells divine, plus can help balance your hormones and mood at the same time?
13. I have a blend of Wintergreen, Frankincense, and Lavender that I rub on sore muscles and my back. For physical pain I also put 5 drops of Oregano oil into a veggie capsule and swallow. This has killed migraines within hours for me. Another fave in the gym is the Ice Blue Athletic Rub which is basically a more natural heat rub with endless benefits… it comes out a little blue from the Blue Tansy and is one of the best anti-inflammatories.
I couldn’t live without them now they are such a vital part of my daily life- my new motto is ‘There’s an oil for that’ with just about everything, from pain to emotions, to funky moods, insomnia, digestive issues, energy, metabolism, detox, weight loss and so on. I have saved loads of $ on cleaning products, teabags, lemons, face products, and supplements. There are 300 drops in every bottle, so each bottle lasts a very long time.
Why You Should Use Essential Oils Essential Oils
They are Unique And Powerful
Essential oils are concentrated compounds that are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plant. Once extracted, the oils carry the distinctive scent or essence of their plant. Essential oils can be both beautifully and powerfully fragrant. However, in addition to giving plants their unique and distinctive smells, essential oils also have hundreds of therapeutic and even medicinal qualities.
Everyone’s Using them We’ve known about essential oils for hundreds of years. The use of essential oils goes back as far as the Egyptian and Greek cultures. The Romans, Chinese and Indian cultures soon followed. In our modern world, essential oils were discovered by the French culture in the late 1930’s and since then, essential oils have had a wide-spread use in aromatherapy practices.
So why aren’t we using them in our culture as much as other cultures are? And still spending 4.5 trillion dollars a year in global health-care?
We aren’t educated about them!
But now-a-days people like me are looking for a more holistic approach to self-care. Many alternative health practitioners including doctors, nurses, osteopaths, chiropractors, and nutritionists are driving the rediscovery of the profound health benefits of essential oils which is very exciting.
HOW TO USE THEM?
Essential oils are usually administered by one of three methods: diffused aromatically, applied topically, or taken internally as dietary supplements. Please do your own research before using the oils.
Diffuse Them In The Air
Our sense of smell is the only one of our five senses that is directly related to our brain. All of our other senses are routed first through the thalamus and then directed to the cerebral cortex and other brain regions. With that said, our sense of smell has the biggest influence on many physiological pathways including the stimulation of hormones and other metabolic processes.
Are you exhausted? I love to Inhale Peppermint for 30 seconds. Depressed? I love to Inhale Wild Orange. Trouble sleeping? I Diffuse Lavender and Roman Chamomile by my bed.
Watch the beauty of what happens! Aromatherapy has thus been founded upon our bodies predicted response to this kind of stimuli. In addition to the emotional benefits, diffusing essential oils can purify the air of unwanted odors and many airborne pathogens. Essential oils can also be used as cleansing and purifying additives to laundry and surface cleaners throughout the home.
Ingest Them Lots of talk about whether or not this is a “for real” and guess what? It is. But only with doTERRA because their oils are 100% pure essential oil. Some other companies are using synthetic additives, carrier oils and may even have pesticides, weeds or more in their bottles. So doTERRA essential oils can be used to cook with and as dietary supplements supporting a variety of health conditions. Some essential oils have powerful antioxidant properties while others help support healthy inflammatory response in cells. Many essential oils are generally regarded as being safe for dietary use, but some oils should not be taken internally. Take a look at the A-Z Guide (which can be found at www.aromatools.com.)
It’s Super Important That Your Oils Are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade We use certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils because we believe they are the safest, purest, and most beneficial oils to use. Because of their gentle and skillful extraction and distillment from plants that have been patiently harvested at the perfect moment by experienced growers from around the world for ideal extract composition and efficacy, they are, in my opinion, the best on the market. There is a reason why the cheap lavender in the chemist is so cheap… for an essential oil to be called ‘100% pure’ it actually only has to have 3% of the oil in it! Insane. That’s why I did extensive research and went with DoTerra.
So why aren’t we using them?
Seriously, I have no idea. We’ve known about essential oils for hundreds of years. We have. The use of essential oils goes back as far as the Egyptian and Greek cultures. In our modern world, essential oils were discovered by the French culture in the late 1930’s and since then, essential oils have had a wide-spread use in aromatherapy practices.
Contact me to ask about how to get yourself some oils, book in a wellness consult or follow these instructions to DIY:
1. Visit www.mydoterra.com/katetankard and click ‘Join & Save’ then pick your country. Then Click ‘Local OTG order’.
2. Select “Wholesale Prices”
3. The “Enroller ID” and “Sponsor ID” boxes should already be filled in for you but if not, enter the enrollment ID of the person who introduced you to doTERRA.
My enrollment number (Kate Tankard is 1885586).
4. Fill out your name, address, billing address, shipping address and remaining contact info. Dont’ be alarmed when doTERRA asks you to list your Tax ID number or SSN. This is for tax purposes only. You are opening a Wholesale Account, but just ordering them for yourself is fine too.
5. Select your time zone and your own virtual office password.
6. Select your initial order, meaning, your one time $35 Introductory Packet fee plus the first products you’d like to choose a la carte by typing in the names of the oils or products individually. OR – pick an enrolment kit. The bigger you go, the more freebies you get.
7. Make a note of your member ID and password for future login.
8. Remember to keep your wholesale pricing you only need to place 1 order a year.
9. Once your order is placed, add yourself to our support group of nearly 1,000 doTERRA advocates right here. You will be guided and can contact myself anytime once your order is placed.